Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Taxi Medicals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:27 pm 

I have just spoke to my GP and he has informed me that their pricing is dependent on the turn around of the Medical.

1 Day turnaround is £150
1 week is £120
4 weeks is £80.

Just wanted to check, have any of you come across this ? what do you guys think of this?

Post subject: Re: Taxi Medicals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:10 pm 

Looks effectively like private medicine, and paying to jump the queue. Not very ethical if it's an NHS provider, in my opinion at least.

Uber-style surge-pricing for medicals, eh? :-o

No doubt others on here know better than me, but I doubt this practice is widespread, excuse pun :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:36 pm 

Abz1 wrote:
I have just spoke to my GP and he has informed me that their pricing is dependent on the turn around of the Medical.

1 Day turnaround is £150
1 week is £120
4 weeks is £80.

Just wanted to check, have any of you come across this ? what do you guys think of this?

I think many drivers pay around £150 for a medical, sometimes more.

In short, they have got you by the balls, you either pay it or you don't get relicensed.

Quite shameful really.

I suspect the higher price might be down to the practice of getting in locoms to do the medicals if there is a rush.

Whereas the lower price is done via the regular GP via the standard booking procedure.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:03 am 

So when I spoke to the GP they said this was actually a private company that are doing it and they would refer me to them, I am assuming they will get a referral fee. They said they charge £150 flat but timing cannot be guaranteed.

Have you guys used private companies for a taxi medical before? they are significantly cheaper at £80 so thats quite a bit saved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:26 pm 

Many councils will insist your own GP does your medical.

Does make it difficult for many drivers who will save money by going to private companies.

But following the huge number of iffy medicals issued to drivers working in London on Uber, things have tightened up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:31 pm 

Went to my GP for a medical, price was £105, I sat in with him for 1hr 20mins while he went through the form and wrote notes on a seperate paper. At the end of the appointment he told me I would have to get my optician to fill in the optical part and bring that part back for him to reinsert into the form, he declined to complete the form there and then, in the event it took him 5 weeks to complete the it by which time I had had a summary of my medical file printed off and gone to an outside company who completed the form including an eye test in about 30 mins...charged me £55....So I actually had 2 medicals and paid £155...I know who I'll be going to next time...clue NOT MY GP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:32 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Many councils will insist your own GP does your medical.

Does make it difficult for many drivers who will save money by going to private companies.

But following the huge number of iffy medicals issued to drivers working in London on Uber, things have tightened up.

The wording in the conditions here re medicals, which is done to a group 2 licence holder standard (bus, truck licence holder) has to be done in conjunction with your medical records, which you are able to obtain from your GP, you are then able get the medical done anywhere for between £50-£60.
I'm sure that most LA's now want the medical done to the group 2 standard.
(there are some LA's in England, who sensibly exempt taxi/PH driver licence holders who hold a valid group 2 licence from having to take a medical)
One company that does these medicals is https://just-health.co.uk/taxi-medical/ and there are plenty of others around the country charging the about the same, I've used them for my HGV and hire licences.
I do it that way because my doctor wanted to charge £220 to do 1 medical and fill in 2 medical forms.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:08 pm 

Our Council stipulate a group 2 medical but then issue a form that is nothing like a group 2 medical.
It takes the GP about 5-10 minutes to complete.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:12 pm 

HGV 2 medical

D4Drivers £50