Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:33 pm 

Which companies offer weekly insurance for a settle car? I won't be using my own car, but renting one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 pm 

wirral_lad wrote:
Which companies offer weekly insurance for a settle car? I won't be using my own car, but renting one.

Then surely the insurance should come with it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 pm 

Nope. 2 places I've contacted provide the car only, insurance needs to be obtained separate. One taxi firm offered me an all in; car, insurance, settle fee for £210.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:26 pm 

Did you find any companies offering what you needed after?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:08 pm 

Can this still be done legally? If a car is taxed it has to be insured doesn't it? So if a company has a car available for someone to rent, it would seem to me that it is taxed. If it is taxed then it would have had to be insured to get the tax disc.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 pm 

grandad wrote:
Can this still be done legally? If a car is taxed it has to be insured doesn't it? So if a company has a car available for someone to rent, it would seem to me that it is taxed. If it is taxed then it would have had to be insured to get the tax disc.

It only has to be MOT'd and insured on the day it is taxed.
An offence is only committed when it is used on a public road.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:39 pm 

gusmac wrote:
grandad wrote:

It only has to be MOT'd and insured on the day it is taxed.
An offence is only committed when it is used on a public road.

I'm not sure that this now the case. Didn't the law change recently so that any vehicle that is taxed must be insured. I think it is called something like continuing insurance.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:45 pm 

Actually it is called continuous insurance. Here is the link explaining it.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... /DG_186696

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:21 pm 

Learn something new every day. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm 

That Continuos Insurance is no more than a money making scheme by the Insurance companies....It only serves to punish the Law abiding by making them pay insurance on a car they,re temporarily not using....It certainly is not going to stop the persistent Insurance dodgers from driving Illegally as the don,t give a stuff about the law.

Yes, you can SORN a car...but that,s a hassle for the sake of a short term off the road...and No Insurance Dodger is going to let SORN stop them driving their old scrappers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:14 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
That Continuos Insurance is no more than a money making scheme by the Insurance companies....It only serves to punish the Law abiding by making them pay insurance on a car they,re temporarily not using....It certainly is not going to stop the persistent Insurance dodgers from driving Illegally as the don,t give a stuff about the law.

Yes, you can SORN a car...but that,s a hassle for the sake of a short term off the road...and No Insurance Dodger is going to let SORN stop them driving their old scrappers.

Absolute nonsense. It was introduced by DVLA as another way of detecting uninsured drivers and nothing to do with the insurance companies. The MID (Motor Insurance Database) is now able to detect a vehicle without insurance straight away as all insurance companies send a message electronically to the MID every time a policy on a vehicle is issued.

When the database detects a vehicle that's not insured and that's not declared as SORN the owner will receive a letter from DVLA telling them to insure it or SORN it. If they ignore the letter they may end up with a £1,000 fine and have their vehicle destroyed.

There's no grey area any more. Insure it or SORN it, full stop.

Those that do use a car without insurance should be detected quicker and easier as you don't have to be caught driving it on the road any more like before, simply owning it & not bothering to insure it is enough. More effective detection of the insurance dodgers will actually reduce your premiums, not cost you money.

Unfortunately, it is a bit of a hassle for companies with a fleet of vehicles that perhaps aren't on the road all of the time - such as in this case of the Settle driver requiring weekly insurance.

Incidentally, Collingwood Insurance Company do weekly taxi insurance. It is only available from a local broker as they like business to be transacted 'face to face'. You can call Collingwood direct on 0845 470 0011 and they'll tell you where their local agent in your area is.

http://www.collingwood.eu.com/products.htm