Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TX4 Hire Sign
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:00 am 

This week's tiresome repair - with pics and a tip for any other TX4 users.

While prepping my 2016 TX4 for its plate a few weeks back, I found both bulbs in the taxi roof sign were out. Replaced them and one was out again within a week. Took a closer look at the harness and didn't like it muchly:

^ Scorch damage in the sockets and at the plug connector, also not sure why there's tape around the wiring

Got a replacement harness on fleabay which worked but wouldn't fit the bracket. That's because (as I now know) there's more than one type:

Later type is on the left, earlier type on the right. The white plug connectors are identical and both take 382 P21W bulbs, but the lock tabs on the sockets are different. Thankfully T&S in Liverpool had the later type.

Job done and so far so good. However, I'm not impressed by the build quality of this later TX4 - various electrical gremlins like this and a bunch of squeaks/rattles I'm still working through.

Post subject: Re: TX4 Hire Sign
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:40 pm 

And the cycle of life moves on - bulb out after 5 weeks. I'll try Twenty20 Endurance bulbs this time.

Anyone used LED replacements in the hire sign?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:04 am 

So the Twenty20 bulbs 'endured' a whopping 2 months before one blew. Some way short of their whopping 4 year guarantee, which I didn't bother claiming.

Next, unbranded LEDs - super bright but lasted 3 weeks until one turned into a strobe light. Must have drawn attention when I was for hire I suppose.

^ This is the latest attempt - pretty much the same brightness as standard halogens and working for a whole month so far. But its early days.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:29 am 

XH558 wrote:
So the Twenty20 bulbs 'endured' a whopping 2 months before one blew. Some way short of their whopping 4 year guarantee, which I didn't bother claiming.

Next, unbranded LEDs - super bright but lasted 3 weeks until one turned into a strobe light. Must have drawn attention when I was for hire I suppose.

^ This is the latest attempt - pretty much the same brightness as standard halogens and working for a whole month so far. But its early days.

Use the lower Ampage bulbs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:38 am 

MR T wrote:
Use the lower Ampage bulbs

So drop to (say) 15 watt but with the same bulb base? Must admit I'd not thought of doing that - thanks.