Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 am 

We have just bought a Toyota Avensis and noticed that if we put a standard MOGO plate bracket on it will need to have a huge overhang to miss the bumper. Where can I get a bracket to put the number plate and the PH plate side by side? Pitts don't do one.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:11 am 

Just get a number plate made to the same size as the plate, remove the other one, and screw both side by side using the number plate holes already there.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 am 

skippy41 wrote:
Just get a number plate made to the same size as the plate, remove the other one, and screw both side by side using the number plate holes already there.

Not possible due to the shape and size of the space where the number plate is. There is a ridge in the way.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:48 pm 

grandad wrote:
We have just bought a Toyota Avensis and noticed that if we put a standard MOGO plate bracket on it will need to have a huge overhang to miss the bumper. Where can I get a bracket to put the number plate and the PH plate side by side? Pitts don't do one.

Can you not get a sticky plate?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:34 am 

Just use some foam backed double sided tape on the rider all around but still fix with the screws provided

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:41 am 

grandad wrote:

Just get a peice of wood and screw the wood onto the number plate space then place then both side by side on the peice of wood, screw to attach. I hate them mogo brackets.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:43 am 

skippy41 wrote:

Just use some foam backed double sided tape on the rider all around but still fix with the screws provided

Tape won't last 5 minutes

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 am 

skippy41 wrote:

The number plate is on the boot and there is not enough room to fit even a motorcycle plate because of a large lip at the bottom of the number plate that sticks out about 25 mm so there is no flat surface.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
grandad wrote:

Just get a peice of wood and screw the wood onto the number plate space then place then both side by side on the peice of wood, screw to attach. I hate them mogo brackets.

I was thinking about using some plastic sheeting about 25mm thick to space it out so that I can attach the plates to that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:02 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Nidge2 wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

Tape won't last 5 minutes

if you buy the proper number plate tape from any good motor factors it works fine I've never known a plate come off but I have known quite a few with the mogo brackets which are really pants

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 pm 

edders23 wrote:
if you buy the proper number plate tape from any good motor factors it works fine I've never known a plate come off but I have known quite a few with the mogo brackets which are really pants

Our plates are simply taped on, and generally seem secure enough. Our last style of plate lasted for the lifetime of the car, and sure one of my plates was on for about six years or more, until I clipped it with a heavy suitcase one day.

Of course, whether tape works will depend on size of plate, design of the car and the local authority's requirements etc, so all that's not to say that tape will always be an option.

If this is the set-up Grandad is on about then our plates would simply go on the flat part of the bumper. In fact this looks tailor-made for the Fife plates:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:35 pm 

Just get a vinyl plates made, place them side by side, as in above photo, won't matter about the slight lip then, the vinyl will hold over it