Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:44 am 

Only came across this when I saw it on the front cover of the local rag. Which I didn't buy, and the article doesn't seem to be online, but it's presumably based on this 'case study' for this state-funded organisation helping new businesses start up.

Scotland’s new taxi hailing app steps into the future

https://www.businessgatewayfife.com/cas ... ailing-app

A St Andrews student, Daniel Malikzade-Afshar, has brought a new and exciting dimension to the Scottish taxi market as he combines local taxi firms with a sustainable and personal approach. Yes!Taxi is the 21st century taxi app which provides safe, convenient and affordable rides for anyone across Scotland.

The third-year theoretical physicist has found a way to bring together flourishing Scottish business and drivers with an innovative approach to taxi services which will open the market while still supporting drivers. The initial idea came from Daniel talking to his dad whose experience as a taxi driver has encouraged to help solve some of the issues faced by both the drivers and the customers.

Yes!Taxi has quickly become the fastest and most convenient booking platform in Scotland. App users can easily access their taxi’s location, pick their favourite driver and rate their trip. In the first six-week trial launch, it has completed over 400 rides, over 600 users and has attracted over 40 drivers.

The environment is at the heart of Yes!Taxi as Daniel feels that the young generation care and the app reflects this. He said: “The further you go the more points you earn which are converted into trees, flowers and plants across Britain helping to combat climate change. Furthermore, you can choose your favourite plant to seed.”

He added: “The app has gone from strength to strength. I am so proud to see where it has come and where it is going.’’

He is now working to expand globally to provide safe, easy and reliable taxi services alongside tackling specific issues faced by those countries.

It also promotes safety to young people with its SOS feature, which in exceptional circumstances, will mean a university ID will be enough to book a cab.

Daniel has received advice and support throughout his journey from Business Gateway Fife.

His adviser, Marissa Yassen said: “Daniel was assisted with three days of Expert Help with developing legal contracts for all contractual taxi drivers along with a further one day of Expert Help onTax and VAT registration implications due to the unique service Yes!Taxi provides. Our HR adviser, Catherine Bartle was able to support Daniel on employment contracts for his satellite staff who will be managing the Yes!Taxi services in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow as well as St Andrews.”

Daniel added: “I am grateful for the valuable support I have received from Marissa at Business Gateway Fife. It has certainly helped me put in place the correct legal contracts needed to take the business forward.”

Also found this in the local student rag via Google, which is from April this year:

Say ‘Yes!’ to safe, affordable and convenient travel

http://www.thesaint-online.com/2019/04/ ... nt-travel/

Deputy Features Editor Siobhan Ali spoke to the students behind Yes!Cab, a local taxi app service modelled on the success of Uber, and the latest trend for travelling from A to B.

Image: Charlotte Caldwell/The Saint

Yes!Cab, the latest innovation to be introduced to the St Andrews’ community, is an exciting new initiative, begun by two of the university’s very own students. Founded by Daniel Malikzade-Afshar and Murad Abdulla, Yes!Cab is a service that combines the concepts that have ensured the success of Uber with traditional taxi services and intends to provide “safe, convenient and luxurious” transportation at an affordable price. The Saint sat down with Malikzade-Afshar and Abdulla to discuss what brought them together to work on this venture, and the inspirations and goals behind Yes!Cab.

Malikzade-Afshar, one of the founders, is a second-year theoretical physicist who hails from Essex. Previously an avid rower, boxer and volleyball player, he has secured a prestigious IB summer internship at Deutsche Bank this year. No stranger to hard work, Malikzade-Afshar narrated the “positive mindset” that guided him through being on the “brink of permanent expulsion” in his final year at school to achieving excellent grades amongst his peers. This has been translated and applied to his role as director of Yes!Cab as he aims to modernise the taxi industry and lead it into the 21st Century. In this way, he can address some of the key concerns that have caused the decline of the taxi industry and combat the competition offered by services such as Uber to ensure that the industry does not fade into oblivion.

Abdulla, the brains behind the tech side of Yes!Cab, grew up not too far from St Andrews, in Aberdeen, although he is a native of Azerbaijan. A fresher studying data science and a highly successful double chess champion, Abdulla participates in the SUMS Mathematical Society as well as working towards founding the Azerbaijani society on campus. He works with Malikzade-Afshar to sort out the technicalities and technological requirements of producing an app that allows customers to book a taxi with a click of a button.

Growing up near London, Malikzade-Afshar enjoyed exposure to the various entrepreneurial opportunities, inspiring his passion and interest in crafting his own business. Coming to Scotland to pursue higher education, Malikzade-Afshar found that while similar opportunities existed, these were “less visible”. Undeterred, he was determined to find his gap in the market. Discussions with peers and friends about the disruptions faced by established industries, as well as his own father’s experiences as a taxi driver, were a source of great inspiration for Malikzade-Afshar. Witnessing and experiencing first-hand how the spread of technology and the introduction of services such as Uber impacted his father’s earnings offered more than just simple financial incentives for creating Yes!Cab. Through the app, Malikzade-Afshar has found a way to “support drivers who often do not have a loud enough voice to be heard.”

In his mission of protecting the jobs and livelihoods of local taxi drivers, Malikzade-Afshar has spoken to drivers about their concerns and struggles, as well as features that would make a successful taxi booking app, in order to facilitate their business. In order to carry out further research and the processes of planning a business, as well as creating the app itself, Abdulla joined the team to share his tech knowledge and expertise.

The Scottish-based company offers one of the “fastest and most convenient taxi booking platforms” in the industry. As well as receiving safe, affordable and convenient transport by licensed drivers, customers can get accurate information about taxi’s location, carpool to get cheaper fares, choose from a range of vehicles (from ‘classic,’ ‘XL’ or ‘Pro’), and also rate their ride.

The safety of St Andrews’ citizens is paramount to Malikzade-Afshar and Abdulla, who have ensured that the drivers are fully licensed by the Fife Council and have passed all necessary background checks. Customers can confidently travel around town at any time of the day fully, stress-free. This is particularly important for students, worried about getting home late after a night out, who can be rest assured that they will be safely dropped off at their front door.

Currently in talks with the Union, Malikzade-Afshar and Abdulla are looking to launch a credit scheme whereby, if Union staff deem a student to be in an exceptionally inebriated state during a night out and their safety is in danger, they can book a Yes!Cab for them at no cost to the student. The Union staff would receive credit from the Yes!Cab team on their app which they can use to transfer to the taxi driver in order to take the student home safely. This unique feature demonstrates Malikzade-Afshar and Abdulla’s commitment to ensuring the safety of their peers as well as the uniqueness and innovativeness of Yes!Cab. It is clear that the app will continue developing, offering unparalleled services to customers.

Just starting out, Yes!Cab is busy building connections and relationships in the St Andrews community. At the same time, they empower taxi drivers, forming personal relationships with them and introducing “21st Century technological advancements”, such as the platform of an app, into their business model to modernise the industry. Customers can enjoy “cheap and affordable” means of transportation that promises to be of a high standard. St Andrews’ residents can also look forward to greater connections between neighbouring cities, such as Dundee and Edinburgh, in the near future as part of Malikzade-Afshar and Abdulla’s plans for expansion. Throughout this process, the duo will ensure that they retain their “unique style” and eagerness to say Yes!’ to every challenge they encounter.

Follow Yes!Cab on Facebook (@YesCabUK) and download the app on Google Play or App Store for iOS to book your ride today!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:45 am 

Yes!Cab wrote:
“The further you go the more points you earn which are converted into trees, flowers and plants across Britain helping to combat climate change. Furthermore, you can choose your favourite plant to seed.”

:-s

Quote:
He is now working to expand globally...

Well I've been working the ranks of St Andrews for years, and the first I knew about this was that headline on the front of the local paper last night, and the older article suggests it's been around since the spring. So I'm a bit sceptical about their global ambitions, or even across Scotland.

Quote:
Currently in talks with the Union, Malikzade-Afshar and Abdulla are looking to launch a credit scheme whereby, if Union staff deem a student to be in an exceptionally inebriated state during a night out...

So this is supposed to be a selling point, and he's hoping to 'empower' drivers? Er, no thanks :roll: =; ](*,)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:33 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Yes!Taxi has quickly become the fastest and most convenient booking platform in Scotland. App users can easily access their taxi’s location, pick their favourite driver and rate their trip. In the first six-week trial launch, it has completed over 400 rides, over 600 users and has attracted over 40 drivers.

That does not sound like a rip roaring success to me obviously someone else thinks taxi apps are the way to easy riches :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:40 pm 

Any app can have as many bells and whistles are they like.

But any booking comes down to job cost and vehicle availability.

In essence niche apps will fail.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm 

In this morning's thread about the new Dundee app, Edward wrote:
I wonder how many of these apps have already fallen by the wayside?

Been working in the mid-sized town town of St Andrews since the 1990s, and still haven't heard a peep about this app :-s

That is, wouldn't have known a thing about it if I hadn't seen it featured on the front page of the local weekly, which I don't normally buy these days [-(

In fact if the article about the app had only been *inside* the paper rather than on the frontpage, I'd probably still have never heard of it.

Only found the articles above via Google after seeing the app on the frontpage of the paper while I was perusing the newsstand in Morrison's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:52 am 

Just like the other app in Dundee launched a year or so later in 2020, the above articles were the only time I'd heard of the app in St Andrews.

Obviously we're a mid-sized town, with only three ranks, so it's a bit of a goldfish bowl, and I've been working here since the late-1990s.

But if I hadn't happened to see the article on the front of the St Andrews Citizen newspaper in Morrison's (which I didn't even buy), I'd have never heard a peep about this app :-o

So, as was maybe obvious back then, the app hasn't really gone from 'strength to strength' at all, and hasn't saved many trees and plants :-s