Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:25 pm 

Our Council are consulting on a new Private hire and hackney Carriage policy.
One of the new things in it are that they want all businesses that operate 5 or more vehicles to have a WAV vehicle.
1. Can they impose such a condition on a Private hire operator?
2. What vehicle could a Private Hire operator use when it is not allowed to be of a similar appearance to a hackney carriage?
3. they are saying that a WAV vehicle license will be free. Does that mean that in effect all other vehicle owners will be subsidising the owners of WAV vehicles and is that permitted?
As it stands there is 1 WAV vehicle plated within the Borough and that is a Hackney and only one business has 5 or more vehicles and that is a private hire operator (me).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:41 pm 

grandad wrote:
One of the new things in it are that they want all businesses that operate 5 or more vehicles to have a WAV vehicle.
2. What vehicle could a Private Hire operator use when it is not allowed to be of a similar appearance to a hackney carriage?
3. they are saying that a WAV vehicle license will be free. Does that mean that in effect all other vehicle owners will be subsidising the owners of WAV vehicles and is that permitted?
As it stands there is 1 WAV vehicle plated within the Borough and that is a Hackney and only one business has 5 or more vehicles and that is a private hire operator (me).

I think you need to have a word with your local councillor...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:57 pm 

jimbo wrote:
grandad wrote:

I think you need to have a word with your local councillor...

My son will be having words with him in the morning. 8)
there are some great ones in the new policy. A Hackney carriage can't arrive more than 5 minutes late for a pre booked fare without good reason and must notify the customer that they will be late. But you can't use your mobile phone whilst in control of the vehicle.
A private hire operator can sub contract the booking and dispatch function but all bookings must be taken in the registered office. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:30 pm 

grandad wrote:

1. B&H have a rule that for all firms who have over 20 vehicles on their fleets, 20% of them must be WAVs. This led to Uber buying 20 WAVs.
2. As long as it doesn't have a front taxi light on I would imagine every WAV should be suitable.
3. Yes.