Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
Dusty Bin wrote:
toots wrote:
I dont' think it was over a period of 10 years because the numbers have been quite static for the last few years.


Yes, but even if numbers are relatively static there will still be new vehicles coming on and others departing.

Or think about it another way - even if numbers were restricted for twenty years then it's not going to be the same people owning the plates at the end as started at the beginning. Some will be, but a lot will have changed hands.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure where you'll get that kind of information from


Indeed, so it's better to claim that they've all ended up selling the Big Issue.


Your point. It's obvious that drivers will change over the years I just don't get your point. I know a few went over to HC from PH then went back to PH but what happened to their vehicles I have no idea

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:25 pm
Posts: 36950
Location: Wayneistan
Dusty Bin wrote:

Yes, but even if numbers are relatively static there will still be new vehicles coming on and others departing.




Except where there is a mixed fleet.

If you have a fleet of 200 hackney carriages, with 100 saloons and 100 WAV's.......and there is a deregulated policy but the new licensee must license a WAV......you find the saloon plate attracts a premium where the WAV end fluctuates.

CC

_________________
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Don't really have a clue what either of you are on about, so I'll try to make my original point again.

Forget a restricted market, assume it's unrestricted. And forget PH and forget a mixed HC fleet.

Say that over 20 years the number of HCs remains static at 100 vehicles. It doesn't move. There were 100 vehicles at the start, and 100 vehicles at the end.

Your thinking seems to say that in such a situation no plates are ever handed in. But that's not the case. Some will leave the trade while others start from scratch.

Some will retire, some will move onto another job or business. Some will be part-time anyway, and/or just doing it as a stop-gap until they get a 'proper' job. Some will find that they just don't like the job, or they grin and bear it for a few years and then get fed up. Some may well not be able to make the repayments on their cab and it's reposessed or they hand it back, or whatever.

Anyway, five vehicles giving up per year doesn't seem unrealistic. Probably a few more, but five is a nice round number. And five new starts per year. So overall the two cancel each other out, and the fleet stays at 100.

But with five vehicles per year leaving the trade, over 20 years that's 100 plates handed back :shock:

Sounds awful when it's spun in a particular way, but in reality it's no big deal at all. People come and go, end of.

Of course, some may well have gone 'bankrupt' - whatever that means exactly - and that's unfortunate, but it's not necessarily representative of the bigger picture.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
Dusty Bin wrote:
Forget a restricted market, assume it's unrestricted


You mean like it was the other week :wink:

Dusty Bin wrote:
And forget PH and forget a mixed HC fleet.


Why? You can't just change things to suit the arguement

Dusty Bin wrote:
Say that over 20 years the number of HCs remains static at 100 vehicles. It doesn't move. There were 100 vehicle at the start, and 100 vehicles at the end.

Your thinking seems to say that in such a situation no plates are ever handed in. But that's not the case. Some will leave the trade while others start from scratch.


I don't think anybody has said that, I certainly haven't. The rest of your answer is a lot of 'lets say' and we can all say but we don't know for sure do we. That doesn't make anybody right because nobody knows the truth of the matter so we can speculate as much as we like.

The one thing I know for sure is that 3 of the 'grandad plates' are stuffed in a drawer at home and not attached to any vehicle so now all we to do is find out where the other 111 went :lol:

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
toots wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
And forget PH and forget a mixed HC fleet.


Why? You can't just change things to suit the arguement



No, it's just for simplicity's sake to illustrate a very simple argument. Or at least very simple to those inhabiting the real world.

Basically your mindset reflects the HC mindset which says that no plate should even be handed back, thus they don't really live in the real world.

But of course if it lines their pockets then who's bothered about what's really going on?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
Dusty Bin wrote:
toots wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
And forget PH and forget a mixed HC fleet.


Why? You can't just change things to suit the arguement



No, it's just for simplicity's sake to illustrate a very simple argument. Or at least very simple to those inhabiting the real world.

Basically your mindset reflects the HC mindset which says that no plate should even be handed back, thus they don't really live in the real world.

But of course if it lines their pockets then who's bothered about what's really going on?


I don't understand why you think that I believe no plate should ever be handed back. Lets get one thing straight ok, I know things change, people change, jobs change and the need for a taxi plate changes. As to whether there were ever 400 taxis on the roads of the Wirral at any time is unsure although people I've spoken to today seem to think there was, but, I don't know. If there was and 114 plates have been handed back it may have something to do with Vauxhalls and British Aerospace taking on more workers :wink:

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wirral
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:20 pm
Posts: 3272
Yes, arguing against yourself again Toots :wink:

Well if you don't know whether there were 400 taxi on the Wirral at any one time then why don't you ask Wirral MBC, because the numbers I supplied the other night seem to indicate otherwise? :D

As for what some in the trade tell you, it's very probably either a case of #-o or :---)

Surely by now you've learnt not to take such claims at face value? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group