Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 8332
Looking a wee bit ahead here but within a year I'll need to renew my photo license because of the 5 year entitlement to drive D1 Minibus's for Hire and Reward will expire.


My Question is...Do I need to re new my license with the D1 Hire or Reward entitlement still on it? I don't Intend using this entitlement professionally anymore and would rather save myself the cost
of having to pay for a Group 2 Medical that I would not have any real need for.

I'd like to keep just the D1 for personal use if I could but not the hire or reward category part of it, In short I just want a Basic Drivers License that will last me until I'm 70 without requiring a medical and a new Photo license 4 years time when i reach years 65 and the yearly after that age.

Can I request the removal of my DI (for Reward) and just have my Basic car license back) but still allow me to hire the occasional minibus for the odd family trip.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 10477
Location: Scotland
The D1 will stay on your licence if its already there, with all other categories already entitled, no medical required , renewed my photo licence last year, basically your renewing your photo only


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 8332
skippy41 wrote:
The D1 will stay on your licence if its already there, with all other categories already entitled, no medical required , renewed my photo licence last year, basically your renewing your photo only


Yes...but mine is being renewed because my D1 (for Hire and Reward use ends one of it's five year cycles), I would have had another 9 years before my Car Photo Drivers License would need renewing.

I wouldn't have minded so much but I just paid for a D4 Medical and it's SBC level of compliance just to get my Taxi Badge and I don't want to fork out another wad of money for another D4 next year...I'm beginning to feel I'm making our rich Doctors even richer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 10477
Location: Scotland
bloodnock wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
The D1 will stay on your licence if its already there, with all other categories already entitled, no medical required , renewed my photo licence last year, basically your renewing your photo only


Yes...but mine is being renewed because my D1 (for Hire and Reward use ends one of it's five year cycles), I would have had another 9 years before my Car Photo Drivers License would need renewing.

I wouldn't have minded so much but I just paid for a D4 Medical and it's SBC level of compliance just to get my Taxi Badge and I don't want to fork out another wad of money for another D4 next year...I'm beginning to feel I'm making our rich Doctors even richer.


Your D1 will be renewed automatically when you apply, it should also be on your drivers licence like mine, your medical lasts for 5 years from date taken unless your now over 65


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 8332
skippy41 wrote:
bloodnock wrote:
skippy41 wrote:
The D1 will stay on your licence if its already there, with all other categories already entitled, no medical required , renewed my photo licence last year, basically your renewing your photo only


Yes...but mine is being renewed because my D1 (for Hire and Reward use ends one of it's five year cycles), I would have had another 9 years before my Car Photo Drivers License would need renewing.

I wouldn't have minded so much but I just paid for a D4 Medical and it's SBC level of compliance just to get my Taxi Badge and I don't want to fork out another wad of money for another D4 next year...I'm beginning to feel I'm making our rich Doctors even richer.


Your D1 will be renewed automatically when you apply, it should also be on your drivers licence like mine, your medical lasts for 5 years from date taken unless your now over 65


If it does last 5 years then that 5 years will be up within a year and is why i'll need to to renew my photo license and as far as I can see the last D4 I had done was done to meet the New SBC Medical levels and that D4 Lasts only for 4 months from the date it was issued even though the license off the back of it last for 5 years.

So Either I go get another Medical or I just Surrender My D1 for hire and Reward whilst hopefully retaining my D1 for social and Domestic purposes as it was before I passed my Minibus test.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:17 pm
Posts: 2349
It depends when you passed your car driving test. Pre a certain date which I can't remember but read about a few weeks ago, you get grandfather rights to drive a bus with more than 16 seats not for H&R. You will need to update your DCPC to keep driving for H&R anyway.

Maybe use a cheaper doctor, my medical cost £45 in Ashford Kent, lots of docs doing these in pop-up clinics all over the place quite legit.

Remember too the definition of "hire and reward" is now taken to mean for any fiscal activity (see the s19 minibus thread for legal details). Whether the punters pay or you are paid, it's fiscal activity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 8332
roythebus wrote:
It depends when you passed your car driving test. Pre a certain date which I can't remember but read about a few weeks ago, you get grandfather rights to drive a bus with more than 16 seats not for H&R. You will need to update your DCPC to keep driving for H&R anyway.

Maybe use a cheaper doctor, my medical cost £45 in Ashford Kent, lots of docs doing these in pop-up clinics all over the place quite legit.

Remember too the definition of "hire and reward" is now taken to mean for any fiscal activity (see the s19 minibus thread for legal details). Whether the punters pay or you are paid, it's fiscal activity.


It was away back in about 1980 I passed my driving test.....And I had D1-101 category prior to my minibus test and after I past my Minibus test the 101 code dissappeared as code 101 meant not for hire or reward.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group