Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43543
Location: 1066 Country
StuartW wrote:
The recommendation is essentially how it works in Scotland - you can do work to and from an other area, but you can't hang around in another area waiting for work or base cars in another area.

See that should have been the basis for the recommendation, you can go anywhere but you can only wait around for a new booking in your own area.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43543
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
CCTV fitters don't exist in many areas so it is a bit of a lottery as to what system you could get

If there was the demand, CCTV fitters would be as common as meter fitters, more than likely the same people.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43543
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
Most PH firms these days send a text with the reg number and name of their driver I think this is covering that and I don't see the problem if they can't receive texts then tell them over the phone

So if a restaurant waiter orders an car he has got to take down the details and pass them to the customer? ](*,)

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43543
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
but as hackney drivers some of us spend time sitting on a rank how do you account for that or even a PH driver sat in the office having a coffee and trying to influence the op to feed them so a driver could do a 12 hour shift but only drive for 6 hours or less

I understand those concerns, but if drivers aren't out all hours, then when they are they will be busier.

Nothing will change the amount of drivers working, nor customers wanting our services, so if we all work less hours then we will all be busier during those hours we are allowed to work.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43543
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
Recommendation 14
The Department for Transport and Transport for London should work together to enable
the issue of Fixed Penalty Notices for both minor taxi and PHV compliance failings. The
Department for Transport should introduce legislation to provide all licensing authorities
with the same powers.


:shock: :? eusasmiles.zip

so hand the councils a license to print money through over zealous use of penalty fines !!

Two ways to look at that.

One, following your line of thought, is that it will be abused by LOs.

Two, this is a good way to deal with the low level of taxi/PH transgressions that we all see every day, without the need of taking someone to court. Which due to the expense and work involved seldom happens.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8047
heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:
The increase in licensing numbers is also inconsistent across England; to give just
some examples, the number of PHVs licensed by Transport for London increased by
39% between 2011 and 2017 to 87,400; in the same period, the number of PHVs
licensed by Wolverhampton City Council increased by 434% to 2,949; but decreased
by 37% in Tandridge District Council to just 46

but the graph shows an overall rise of about 80 percent between 2005 and 2017 has the market expanded that much ?

And the map on page 27 makes interesting reading :shock:



The information on phv licenses is out of date 87,000 in 2017,latest figure for 2018 is 109,000,like every other report grossly misleading information,recommendations have proved that it is phv operator biased,the rank and file people delivering the service (Taxi proprietor/driver or phv proprietor/driver) have had no input and have been totally ignored in compiling this report.

Looks like a report thats been paid for..... never heard of most of them...

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8047
www.gmb.org.uk/newsroom/wild-west-taxi-report

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 12935
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
CCTV fitters don't exist in many areas so it is a bit of a lottery as to what system you could get

If there was the demand, CCTV fitters would be as common as meter fitters, more than likely the same people.



they are not exactly in plentiful supply most won't fit your own equipment they will only fit their rental equipment and why should i pay £250 a year to rent a CCTV camera

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 12935
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
MR T wrote:
heathcote wrote:
edders23 wrote:
The increase in licensing numbers is also inconsistent across England; to give just
some examples, the number of PHVs licensed by Transport for London increased by
39% between 2011 and 2017 to 87,400; in the same period, the number of PHVs
licensed by Wolverhampton City Council increased by 434% to 2,949; but decreased
by 37% in Tandridge District Council to just 46

but the graph shows an overall rise of about 80 percent between 2005 and 2017 has the market expanded that much ?

And the map on page 27 makes interesting reading :shock:



The information on phv licenses is out of date 87,000 in 2017,latest figure for 2018 is 109,000,like every other report grossly misleading information,recommendations have proved that it is phv operator biased,the rank and file people delivering the service (Taxi proprietor/driver or phv proprietor/driver) have had no input and have been totally ignored in compiling this report.

Looks like a report thats been paid for..... never heard of most of them...



thought I saw toots mentioned and the LTDA bod but that is how government works unless your an academic or an acknowledged expert in taxi law you are not going to be invited unless you are a major benefactor to party funds

those that pay the piper call the tune

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 43543
Location: 1066 Country
edders23 wrote:
they are not exactly in plentiful supply most won't fit your own equipment they will only fit their rental equipment and why should i pay £250 a year to rent a CCTV camera

It could save your life and/or livelihood.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 12935
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
but as hackney drivers some of us spend time sitting on a rank how do you account for that or even a PH driver sat in the office having a coffee and trying to influence the op to feed them so a driver could do a 12 hour shift but only drive for 6 hours or less

I understand those concerns, but if drivers aren't out all hours, then when they are they will be busier.

Nothing will change the amount of drivers working, nor customers wanting our services, so if we all work less hours then we will all be busier during those hours we are allowed to work.



No because the customers will want taxis at all sorts of times of day and night and have got used to the idea of "instant taxi" therefore if drivers hours are cut you won't earn more because everyone will choose not to service the quiet periods but all to service the busy times

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 12935
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
they are not exactly in plentiful supply most won't fit your own equipment they will only fit their rental equipment and why should i pay £250 a year to rent a CCTV camera

It could save your life and/or livelihood.



Why should I Pay £250 a year rental when you can buy a system for £250 but have to drive two hundred miles to get it fitted

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 8330
Quote:
"Task and Finish Group on Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Licensing"

Who are they, are they an official government body or just another group trying to tell the Government how how it should be?

I recall similar type of bodies suggesting this that and the next thing with regards taxiing and PH none of which came to owt, is this lot any different, have they the governments ear or are they the Government? Should any of you guys south of the border be concerned....especially as they seem keen to be more relaxed over where Chauffeur and Charity wheelers can cross borders with impunity while decent Licensed hacks and PH's cant, seems a bit biased and suss to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 14142
Location: On the move
edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Recommendation 34

Government should urgently review the evidence and case for restricting the number of hours that taxi and PHV drivers can drive, on the same safety grounds that restrict hours for bus and lorry drivers.


Very contentious, but I'm one of the few that look positively at limiting the crazy hours some of us work.



but as hackney drivers some of us spend time sitting on a rank how do you account for that or even a PH driver sat in the office having a coffee and trying to influence the op to feed them so a driver could do a 12 hour shift but only drive for 6 hours or less


It's quite simple really, it's not all about driving when considered working. If you're in a shop and nobody comes for an hour to buy anything, you're still at work. Drivers should take the correct breaks from driving/working. 4.5 hrs driving or 6 hours of work, whichever comes first ;). With maximum working hours per week and the ability to be flexible, in case a job runs later or longer than anticipated, there are isn't a problem. The working week is worked out over a period of several weeks. I'm guessing that they would apply the driving hours regulations alongside the working hours regulations, which is what they do with lorry and bus drivers.

_________________
Note to self: Just because it pops into my head does NOT mean it should come out of my mouth!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:26 pm
Posts: 8047
toots wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Recommendation 34

Government should urgently review the evidence and case for restricting the number of hours that taxi and PHV drivers can drive, on the same safety grounds that restrict hours for bus and lorry drivers.


Very contentious, but I'm one of the few that look positively at limiting the crazy hours some of us work.



but as hackney drivers some of us spend time sitting on a rank how do you account for that or even a PH driver sat in the office having a coffee and trying to influence the op to feed them so a driver could do a 12 hour shift but only drive for 6 hours or less


It's quite simple really, it's not all about driving when considered working. If you're in a shop and nobody comes for an hour to buy anything, you're still at work. Drivers should take the correct breaks from driving/working. 4.5 hrs driving or 6 hours of work, whichever comes first ;). With maximum working hours per week and the ability to be flexible, in case a job runs later or longer than anticipated, there are isn't a problem. The working week is worked out over a period of several weeks. I'm guessing that they would apply the driving hours regulations alongside the working hours regulations, which is what they do with lorry and bus drivers.

That's OK if somebody is paying you a wage.

_________________
Justice for the 96. It has only taken 27 years...........repeat the same lies for 27 years and the truth sounds strange to people!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group