Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 3975
Location: Lincoln
Apparently some “entrepreneur “ has applied to license tuk tuks in Lincoln as hackney carriages, to operate between st Martin’s square and castle hill. Basically the bottom of steep hill to the top. Not sure of the exact route yet.

It’s going to licensing committee, apparently, next month.

Why, it’s difficult to understand,when;

All hackney carriages shall be wheelchair accessible.

Shall have four road wheels.

Shall be fitted with a taximeter, which means the metered fare would be £3.60 to £4.00 a time.

Love to see one attempting steep hill’s cobblestones with three chunky monkeys in the back.

If they licence this as a hackney carriage, they’ll licence anything. Which puts me back in a saloon car!

_________________
Father of the rank.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 13213
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
UP the hill :shock: or just down it

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 4576
jimbo wrote:
Love to see one attempting steep hill’s cobblestones with three chunky monkeys in the back.


According to this (brief) report they'll be avoiding Steep Hill?


Plans for Tuk Tuk taxi tours in Lincoln

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2019/05/pla ... n-lincoln/

Yes, you might want to tuk this seriously. A new three-wheeled taxi could be on its way to Lincoln soon.

Image
The model they intend to use is a Piaggio Ape Calessino, fitted with seatbelts, lighting, grab/hand rails and a horn (Image: The Lincolnite)

A proposal has been submitted to the City of Lincoln Council to bring a hop on and hop off Tuk Tuk taxi service.

It would take passengers on a short designated route from Castle Hill down to Martin’s Lane in Lincoln, helping people to avoid Steep Hill.

They plan to travel around the city all year round from 11am to 6pm, and even later up to 11pm on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Tuk Tuks generally have a small cabin for the driver and room for three passengers on the back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 4576
StuartW wrote:
According to this (brief) report they'll be avoiding Steep Hill?


Misread that, actually - think this means they'll be helping *passengers* avoid Steep Hill. But they'll only be going *down* it? :-s

Quote:
It would take passengers on a short designated route from Castle Hill down to Martin’s Lane in Lincoln, helping people to avoid Steep Hill.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 1771
StuartW wrote:
jimbo wrote:
Love to see one attempting steep hill’s cobblestones with three chunky monkeys in the back.


According to this (brief) report they'll be avoiding Steep Hill?


Plans for Tuk Tuk taxi tours in Lincoln

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2019/05/pla ... n-lincoln/

Yes, you might want to tuk this seriously. A new three-wheeled taxi could be on its way to Lincoln soon.

Image
The model they intend to use is a Piaggio Ape Calessino, fitted with seatbelts, lighting, grab/hand rails and a horn (Image: The Lincolnite)

A proposal has been submitted to the City of Lincoln Council to bring a hop on and hop off Tuk Tuk taxi service.

It would take passengers on a short designated route from Castle Hill down to Martin’s Lane in Lincoln, helping people to avoid Steep Hill.

They plan to travel around the city all year round from 11am to 6pm, and even later up to 11pm on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Tuk Tuks generally have a small cabin for the driver and room for three passengers on the back.



Are these vehicles M1 crash tested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:30 pm
Posts: 43924
Location: 1066 Country
Be amazed if this thing is licensed.

Can't see that council opening the flood gates.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:06 pm
Posts: 22160
Location: A City near Birmingham
Sussex wrote:
Be amazed if this thing is licensed.

Can't see that council opening the flood gates.


extra fees...

ours licensed a horse + landau for city tours

_________________
Freedom is never free


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 4576
heathcote wrote:

Are these vehicles M1 crash tested.


Well I certainly wouldn't test one on the M1 :badgrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 4576
Image
The model they intend to use is a Piaggio Ape Calessino, fitted with seatbelts, lighting, grab/hand rails and a horn (Image: The Lincolnite)

The model doesn't look like she's fitted with seatbelts, lighting blah, blah :badgrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 4576
A wee bit more detail here - seems the intention is to go *up* the hill :shock:


Say goodbye to walking up Steep Hill! Tuk Tuk taxi service set to launch in Lincoln

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... ep-2878195

Good news for people who hate scaling it

You may not have to tackle walking up Steep Hill for much longer - a new Tuk Tuk taxi service has plans to launch in Lincoln.

Holla Tuk Tuk will help residents and tourists to the city travel up and down from the Bailgate to Lincoln's High Street.

From just £3 per person you could hop in and out of a Tuk Tuk which will take you from St Martin's Square up Drury Lane into the Castle Hill.

Owner Christine Kimbrell said that the plans have been passed by the Highways department at the council and now they will be applying for a Hackney Carriage licence.

Christine said: "There's a real divide between the Bailgate and the High Street of the city.

"This service will make sure that they are more connected and that there's not so much of a divide between the two parts of the city.

"It will also make it easier for tourists to go up and down the hill. Also, if someone is disabled or has any trouble walking, this taxi service could make it easier for them."

The company plans to start off with one taxi to see how it goes and then in a year and a half to expand to around 10 Tuk Tuks covering more of the city.

Christine added: "It will just be a service for those really short trips where you can simply hop on and off and get on your way.

"For a trip from St Martin's Square to Castle Hill it will set customers back £3 per person.

"We want it to be a very fun service with everyone we employ to be friendly, fun and offer a great experience.

"I have heard nothing but positivity for the plans so far. One comment has been that it won't be very good for the environment, but if things go well we aim to be completely green with electric vehicles in the next few years. "

It has taken the company several months to get to this stage but they hope to be up and running by July 19.

Holla Tuk Tuk will have a Hackney Carriage Licence meeting on June 12.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 4576
Quote:
The company plans to start off with one taxi to see how it goes and then in a year and a half to expand to around 10 Tuk Tuks covering more of the city.

:lol:

Quote:
"We want it to be a very fun service with everyone we employ to be friendly, fun and offer a great experience."

:lol:

Quote:
"I have heard nothing but positivity for the plans so far."

Obviously just talking to the 'right' people then. In fact the only comment currently on the website says:

Nothingbutthetruth wrote:
Don't think I'd risk my life in one of those things,i'm surprised they can even go up hills and I can't imagine that they have very good brakes

Maybe that's Jimbo 8-[


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm
Posts: 13213
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
heathcote wrote:

Are these vehicles M1 crash tested.


Well I certainly wouldn't test one on the M1 :badgrin:


test them on the M9 instead :wink:

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 am
Posts: 4576
Tuk Tuk owners issue statement on plans for taxi rides up and down Steep Hill

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... nt-2986738

A business planning to run tuk tuk trips to stop people having to tackle walking up Steep Hill say that they are hopeful of getting a licence.

Holla Tuk Tuk will take residents and tourists for just £3 a person to travel up and down from the Bailgate to Lincoln's High Street if it gets a Hackney Carriage licence.

A meeting due to be held to decide whether the business should get a licence was due to take place on June 12 was postponed.

Yet owner Christine Kimbrell said she is still confident of getting one.

She said: "It has taken eight months just to get to this point, but the council are doing a very thorough job.

"The Hackney licence meeting was delayed but hopefully we should get an answer really soon.

"It's just a waiting game now, but Ipswich and Devon councils have both passed a similar thing."

Christine hopes to have an answer by the end of July so that they can get up and running as soon as they possibly can.

The company plans to start off with one taxi to see how it goes and then in a year and a half to expand to around 10 tuk tuks covering more of the city.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 1771
wannabeeahack wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Be amazed if this thing is licensed.

Can't see that council opening the flood gates.


extra fees...

ours licensed a horse + landau for city tours



A PROPER HACKNEY CARRIAGE.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tuk tuks in Lincoln?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 pm
Posts: 1771
StuartW wrote:
Tuk Tuk owners issue statement on plans for taxi rides up and down Steep Hill

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... nt-2986738

A business planning to run tuk tuk trips to stop people having to tackle walking up Steep Hill say that they are hopeful of getting a licence.

Holla Tuk Tuk will take residents and tourists for just £3 a person to travel up and down from the Bailgate to Lincoln's High Street if it gets a Hackney Carriage licence.

A meeting due to be held to decide whether the business should get a licence was due to take place on June 12 was postponed.

Yet owner Christine Kimbrell said she is still confident of getting one.

She said: "It has taken eight months just to get to this point, but the council are doing a very thorough job.

"The Hackney licence meeting was delayed but hopefully we should get an answer really soon.

"It's just a waiting game now, but Ipswich and Devon councils have both passed a similar thing."

Christine hopes to have an answer by the end of July so that they can get up and running as soon as they possibly can.

The company plans to start off with one taxi to see how it goes and then in a year and a half to expand to around 10 tuk tuks covering more of the city.




Does the charging of individual passengers not infringe bus regulations,1985 Act also it infringes TAXI licensing and use of meter,meter informs the persons who hire the vehicle the fare to be paid at the end of the journey.

Wished I got £9 a mile.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group